No dip could be simpler than guacamole -- all it takes is avocados, freshly squeezed lime juice, seasonings, and a bit of mashing. Whether you make it chunky or smooth, mild or spicy, this Mexican specialty makes a gorgeous green accompaniment for everything from corn chips to any Latin-inspired dishes your family favors. Try this traditional recipe from Better Homes and Gardens now -- then, for your next Mexican meal, sample the yummy variations that follow.
Rely on these tips and tricks to make the most of your guacamole:
- Choose fully ripe avocados by using the squeeze test. Hold the fruit in your palm and give it a gentle squeeze. If it is ripe, it will feel soft and yield to pressure.
- To ripen an avocado quickly, place it in a paper bag along with an apple for a day or two.
- To keep guacamole from darkening, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole, smoothing out air bubbles.
- To reduce the fat in guacamole, replace up to one-half of the avocado with an equal amount of pureed white beans.
Servings: Makes 2 cups
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 1 hr 20 minutes
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 of a small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled, and coarsely mashed
- Tortilla chips
- In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, red onion, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Gently stir in avocados.
- Cover the surface of the guacamole with plastic wrap. Chill for up to 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.
Calories 48, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 39 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 7%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%. Exchanges: Fat 1. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Here are 19 more of the Web's best recipes for making guacamole.
Make this irresistible homemade guacamole in 10 minutes flat with six ingredients.
Cilantro adds a delicious zing to this easy guacamole recipe. Make it as close to serving time as possible.
Use a cup of the Fresh Tomato Salsa to make this guacamole in a flash.
Freshly chopped avocado and diced ripe tomatoes make for an incredibly delicious and gorgeously green guacamole.
"Healthified" Garlic Guacamole
Holy guacamole! The healthified version of this fiesta favorite boasts a garlicky kick.
Creamy Avocado Dip with Tortilla Crisps
Mayonnaise makes this avocado dip creamier than guacamole. Baked corn tortillas are perfect for scooping it up.
Spicy Corn Guacamole
Give guacamole an easy taste twist with colorful additions, such as whole kernel corn and sliced jalapeños.
Fresh basil gives this Mexican-inspired dip a delicious flavor.
Guacamole for One
Need a quick snack? Mash a little avocado together with some salsa and enjoy with chips.
Pipe sour cream on top of this guacamole to make a fun spread for parties.
Mexican Seven-Layer Dip
This perennial party-favorite recipe boasts luscious guacamole, a layer of hearty bean dip, and cheese.
Five-Layer Party Dip
Dig into five delicious layers of lettuce, sour cream, black beans, guacamole, and salsa.
Guacamole Cheese Crisps
Use homemade or purchased guacamole with these home-baked cheese crisps for a tasty snack.
Leftover guacamole serves as a delicious stuffing for hard-boiled eggs.
This fresh vegetable-and-rice salad has a heart-healthy avocado dressing.
Balance the hot bean-and-cheese-topped chips with cool salsa, guacamole, and sour cream for a party appetizer that is always in demand.
Chicken Fajitas with Guacamole
These hefty fajitas burst with Mexican favorites -- chunky guacamole, grilled chicken, chopped tomato, olives, and cheese.
Southwestern Black Bean Cakes with Guacamole
These spicy bean cakes, which are topped with guacamole, are filling enough to make a main dish.
Turkey with Tomatillo Guacamole
Lean turkey meat gets a flavor boost from spices and a simple avocado topper in this dinner recipe.
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."