How to Make Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie, that perennial favorite, usually features a creamy custard filling made with eggs, milk or cream, sugar, and aromatic spices, all baked in a flaky or graham-cracker piecrust. It's easy to make, as you can see in this traditional recipe below from Better Homes and Gardens. There are also plenty of delicious variations, and you'll find links to some of the very best beneath the recipe.
Meantime, here are some tips for pumpkin-pie perfection:
- It's fine to use a store-bought crust (either graham-cracker or flaky) for your pumpkin pie. If you want to make your own, try the Pastry for Single-Crust Pie recipe at the bottom of this page.
- It's no problem to substitute fresh pumpkin for canned -- just puree it first.
- Test for doneness by inserting a clean table knife in the center of the baked pie; it should come out clean.
- To keep the crust from getting soggy, refrigerate leftovers soon after serving. But don't freeze pumpkin pie -- you won't be happy with the results.
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 refrigerated flaky pie crust (or make your own with the Pastry for Single-Crust Pie, see the recipe at the very bottom of this page)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- If making your own crust: Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (see recipe at the very bottom of this page). Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a fork just until combined. Gradually add half-and-half; stir until combined.
- Place the pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours. (Makes 8 slices)
Here are 19 more of the web's best pumpkin pie recipes, along with a recipe for homemade piecrust.
Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Sweet and crumbly, a graham crust makes this pumpkin pie really special.
Double-Layer Pumpkin Pie
A mixture of cream cheese and whipped topping creates a creamy layer underneath the pumpkin custard.
Basic Crustless Pumpkin Pie
This low-fat crustless pumpkin pie is a perfect dessert for the dieters at your holiday meal or people who are watching their carbs.
Cinnamon and maple blend smoothly with the flavors of a traditional pumpkin pie recipe.
Pumpkin Praline Pie
A cream cheese layer forms the base of this pumpkin pie. The walnut and toffee mixture adds a sweet and elegant topping.
Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Pie
Chocolate, pumpkin, and cheesecake combine in this delicious pie recipe that's perfect for Thanksgiving or any other occasion.
Chiffon Pumpkin Pie
With its delicious creamy filling and graham cracker crust, this may not be your traditional pumpkin pie recipe, but it may be your new favorite holiday.
Pecan-Topped Pumpkin Pie
The crunchy pecan mixture is doubly delicious when piled on top of and underneath the pumpkin pie filling.
Crushed gingersnap cookies and pumpkin pie spice add zip to the filling of this creamy dessert.
Almond-Crunch Pumpkin Pie
A crunchy praline layer hides under a smooth pumpkin layer in this delicious pumpkin pie variation.
Toffee Pumpkin Pie
A classic pumpkin pie moves to celebratory status when topped with crunchy chocolate-covered toffee. It's a Thanksgiving dessert hit.
Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie
Here's a delicious twist on the classic pumpkin pie. Create your own unique pattern when you swirl the mascarpone cheese mixture in.
Cranberry-Orange Almond Crunch Pumpkin Pie
Bran cereal, almonds, and dried cranberries make a quick but pretty topper for this crustless pumpkin pie.
Lattice-Topped Pumpkin Pie
Dress up your holiday pie by using a special cutter to make the decorative top crust.
Double Pumpkin Pie with Oat Crust
Purchased pumpkin butter and quick cooking rolled oats pastry sets this Christmas dessert apart from other pumpkin pie recipes.
Caramel-Pumpkin Layered Pie
Looking for a pumpkin pie recipe that stands above the rest? This three-layer holiday dessert features rich brown sugar-rum custard, a light and airy pumpkin chiffon, and a whipped cream topping.
These tiny treats contain all the tantalizing flavors of pumpkin and pecan pie.
Jamaican Spiced Pumpkin Pie
Coconut milk and spiced rum add an unusual and delicious twist to this pumpkin pie.
Frozen Pumpkin Mousse Pie
While pumpkin pie deserves respect as a Thanksgiving icon, it's fun to shake up tradition. Surprise your family and friends with a frozen pie this year. It just might become one of their holiday favorites.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
Nothing is as tempting as a homemade pie, complete with a tender, flaky crust. Here's how to make your own perfect piecrust.
Our Recipe Partners
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."