How to Make Cheesecake
Cheesecake is a moist, delicious mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and eggs baked in a graham cracker or pastry crust. It's also very versatile, working well with a wide variety of flavors ranging from lemon and chocolate to pumpkin. New York Cheesecake, this one below from Better Homes and Gardens, is a gold standard. Check it out, then browse through more of the Web's very best cheesecake recipes.
A few tips to guarantee great cheesecake results:
- Use a springform pan to make it easier to remove your cheesecake after baking.
- Keep your oven moist to prevent your cheesecake from cracking. Just put a shallow pan of water beneath the cheesecake during baking.
- You'll know the cheesecake is done when it's puffy around the edges and jiggles a bit in the center when shaken.
New York Cheesecake
Servings: Makes 12 to 16 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Total: 2 hrs
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 5 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- For crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Stir until well combined. Press onto bottom and about 2-1/2 inches up the sides of a 9x3-inch springform pan.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, flour, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolks, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in whipping cream and lemon peel. Pour into pan.
- Place pan in a shallow baking pan in the oven. Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 1-1/2 hours or until center appears nearly set when shaken. Cool 15 minutes. Loosen crust from sides of pan. Cool 30 minutes more; remove sides of pan. Cool completely. Chill 4 to 24 hours. If desired, garnish with fresh berries. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Calories 664, Total Fat 48 g, Saturated Fat 27 g, Cholesterol 247 mg, Sodium 494 mg, Carbohydrate 48 g, Protein 12 g. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Check out more of the Web's very best cheesecake recipes in this list below.
With its lovely swirls of chocolate, this cheesecake makes an eye-catching dessert. Made with semisweet chocolate, it scores high on the rich and luscious scale, too.
Chocolate Mini Cheesecakes
This low-calorie cheesecake recipe is made with a vanilla wafer crust and reduced-fat cream cheese and chocolate filling. The small size makes it a perfect dessert.
Pumpkin, gingersnaps, and caramel: The fabulous flavors of fall are featured in this irresistible cheesecake.
This no-bake cheesecake is mixed entirely in your food processor. Prepare it a day in advance for a scrumptious make-ahead dessert recipe.
Fat-free cottage cheese and sour cream provide plenty of creamy texture and rich flavor while keeping this cheesecake dessert within healthy eating guidelines.
Chocolate sandwich cookies make an easy crust and crumbled topper for these fun, single-serving cheesecakes.
Key Lime Cheesecake Bars
This version of Key Lime Pie uses a graham cracker crust and a filling that blends lime-flavor gelatin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and whipped topping.
Red Velvet Cheesecake
Take a delicious traditional red velvet cake and give it a creamy twist. Don't let the red color fool you: The flavor is chocolate.
Shortbread cookies and candied pecans make the crust for this creamy cheesecake. Top with additional candied pecans before serving this delicious dessert.
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Swirl
Caramel topping is swirled into the sour cream layer of this dessert, creating a dazzling design that will impress your guests.
Cheesecake Cupcakes with Blueberries
Use sugar cookies as ready-made crusts for these blueberry-studded miniature cheesecakes.
Chocolate & Dried Cherry Cheesecake
This cheesecake is thick, rich, and chocolatey, with just a touch of coffee. Top with chocolate swirls for a spectacular presentation.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Pie
Top this yummy cheesecake with a delicious glaze made from whipping cream and semisweet chocolate.
Chocolate, cinnamon, espresso, and molasses combine in this irresistible cheesecake recipe.
This ultrarich cheesecake has pineapple above and below. A crushed pineapple filling is spread over the crust and topped with the cheesecake batter, while pineapple slices decorate the top.
Bittersweet Cheesecake Torte
This indulgent cheesecake starts and ends with ganache, a velvety mixture of dark chocolate and cream.
Brandy Alexander Cheesecake
This luscious cheesecake is baked in a chocolate graham cracker crust and captures the flavors of the creamy-sweet Brandy Alexander cocktail.
Dried and fresh cranberries, shredded orange peel, and chocolate combine to make this irresistible cheesecake.
Oregon Hazelnut Cheesecake
Finely ground hazelnuts form the crust, while the luscious cream cheese filling includes both chopped hazelnuts and honey for a sweet treat.
Our Recipe Partners
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."