How to Make a Basic Omelet
The omelet -- a fluffy folded egg dish stuffed with melted cheese, savory meats, or healthful vegetables -- may have a fancy French name, but it's still an all-American breakfast staple that is simple to prepare. Assemble the fillings you'll use to stuff your omelet, and then follow this simple Better Homes and Gardens recipe. Once you have the basic technique down pat, you can expand your horizons to include the awesome specialty omelets that follow.
Before you begin, read these egg-cellent omelet-making tips:
- You will have the best omelet-making success if you use a heavy, nonstick skillet.
- Bring eggs to room temperature before beating them very lightly.
- If you are making omelets for a large group, make several two- or three-egg omelets instead of trying to make a larger omelet with six or more eggs. The more eggs the omelet contains, the more difficult it is to turn.
- Add beaten eggs to a very hot skillet. This will cause the steam that makes omelets extra fluffy.
Servings: 2 servings
Prep: 5 minutes
Total: 11 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 thin slices Black Forest ham
- 1/3 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Green salad (optional)
- Heat butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl pan to coat. In a medium-size bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, mustard, tarragon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Once butter is melted, pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat without stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until eggs begin to set. As eggs set, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting eggs so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- When eggs are set but still shiny, layer half of omelet with ham and cheese. Tent pan with foil; cook 1 more minute until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted. Fold untopped half over filling and slide omelet onto a plate. Cut omelet in half. If desired, serve each half with a green salad.
Calories 319, Total Fat 23 g, Saturated Fat 10 g, Cholesterol 470 mg, Sodium 718 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 25 g.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
Here are 20 more of the Web's best omelet recipes.
This quick-and-easy egg dish is a great choice for breakfast because you can fill it with each person's favorite ingredients.
Quick and Easy Omelet
Fresh baby spinach and a homemade red pepper relish fill this healthy omelet. Serve with some toast and fresh fruit for a delicious breakfast.
If you prefer firmer eggs or if undercooked eggs are a concern, cook the omelet for another minute before adding the cheese.
A tangy red pepper relish adorns this low-carb egg dish. It's perfect for a quick-and-easy weeknight supper
In the time it takes for a morning stretch, you can make a nutritious spring omelet.
French Onion Omelet
Here's one omelet you can enjoy without mastering the flip. It bakes in a skillet in the oven.
Mushroom and Broccoli Omelet
Omelets aren't just for breakfast anymore. Try this vegetarian version that combines mushrooms, broccoli, and feta cheese for brunch, lunch, or a light supper.
Soufflé Omelet with Zucchini, Artichoke, and Cheddar
Whip the egg whites to make this fluffy vegetable-filled omelet. Try it for breakfast or a light dinner.
Tex-Mex Spinach Omelet
This zesty, colorful egg meal is hearty enough for lunch or dinner, too. Corn relish makes a nice side dish for the omelet.
Fresh Tomato Omelets with Mozzarella Cheese
This egg and cheese omelet recipe has just 2 grams of fat and 9 mg cholesterol per serving. It's great for a heart-healthy diet
Spinach and Feta Omelet
This Mediterranean-style omelet is ideal for a leisurely weekend breakfast. And it's low in cholesterol because it's made with refrigerated egg product.
Try this vegetarian egg, cheese, and artichoke dish that's low in calories and fat. If you don't have a 12-inch skillet, use an 8-inch nonstick skillet to make two smaller omelets.
Pear-and-Cheese-Filled Oven Omelet
Serve this cheddar-and-pear-filled omelet for breakfast when you have overnight guests.
Mexican Potato Omelet
Whip up this simple, tasty omelet on those nights when it seems the refrigerator is bare.
Chicken Divan-Style Omelet
These omelets are satisfying enough to serve for dinner. They're filled with chicken, broccoli, grapes, and cheese, and topped with a creamy sauce.
Debbie Shore's Pepper-Avocado Omelet
The roasted poblano peppers in this two-egg omelet recipe add a spicy but not fiery flavor that complements the coarsely chopped avocado. For an impromptu guacamole, mash the remaining avocado with prepared salsa.
Hash Brown Omelet
Satisfy hearty appetites with this one-skillet meal of four breakfast favorites: bacon, hash browns, eggs, and cheese.
Baked Italian Omelet
What could be easier than this no-flip cheese, tomato, and spinach omelet that bakes in the oven?
Ham-and-Raisin-Filled Oven Omelet
This baked omelet simplifies prep and serving. After baking, cut the omelet into squares and fill with a savory stove-top filling of apples, raisins, and ham, then sprinkle with nuts.
Bacon and Goat Cheese Omelet with Salad
Goat cheese, with its distinctive tart flavor, makes a delicious statement in this classic omelet recipe.
Our Recipe Partnerssee all recipe partners
Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."