Rachel Achmad

How to Coupon: Do’s and Don’ts of Stockpiling

iStock

Periodically (for research of course), I watch the show Extreme Couponing. My husband recently discovered the show Doomsday Preppers, which profiles people preparing for imminent doomsday survival. Both groups of people have massive stockpiles of goods. I have written before about my recommendations of stockpile amounts and stockpile storage, but I haven’t written about sensible choices for your stockpile stash.

One of the Extreme Couponing episodes I just saw showed a shopper scoring amazing savings … on a hundred candy bars, a cart full of Gatorade and a massive number toothbrushes (which I suppose you would need after all that candy and Gatorade). The at-home stockpile of this couponer featured floor-to-ceiling shelves filled with more household cleaning supplies and personal care items than the family would need in years. While I can’t believe I’m saying this, the doomsday preppers were far more sensible, with their stockpiles of canned beans, soups and pasta. The goal should be to be able to “shop at home” for items that you can use to prepare meals.

So, here are my DO’s and DON’Ts for sensible stockpile creation:

DO: Build your stockpile gradually, with a goal of a 3 month food supply and a 12 month supply of non-edibles.

DO: Have a climate-controlled place to store your goods.

DO: Rotate your stock. If something is close to expiration, donate it to local food pantry while it’s still good.

DON’T: “Shelf-clear” when you shop. That’s just selfish and cruel to other shoppers.

DON’T: Take things you won’t use just because they’re free. If you won’t use it, leave it for someone who will.

Shop smart and save! Check out more tips on couponing and savvy shopping!

***Win Free Groceries for a Year!***

12 Responses to “How to Coupon: Do’s and Don’ts of Stockpiling”

• Keep օn writing, greeat job!

• google says:

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity about unexpected feelings.

• de says:

If there is a disaster, FEMA will steal all but three days worth of food from you, like they did during Katrina, so you might want to think through how to hide some of your bounty from them.

• art says:

Thanks , I’ve just been searching for info approximately this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have came upon so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?|What i don’t understood is in fact how you are not really a lot more smartly-preferred than you may be now. You are very intelligent.

• Bubba says:

How about creating an organization that helps working class families lord knows that they need all the help they can get for they are the true poor out there. Get together with those in your community and reach out to these working poor , you know who they are cause you see them everyday ringing up and bagging your grocierys, clothes etc . They truly need the help and we need them to keep this country going.

• Nancy says:

I thot of a website named Coupons for Christians,where coupons could be used for pantry’s needs, like pb and jelly, canned fruits, and diapers.. What cha think?

• Cindy Hill says:

Wonderful idea!

• Rachel Achmad says:

Keep coming back to Recipe.com! I have some future posts planned about what food pantries need most, and about some organizations like this that are already in existence. I would suggest not having a name that excludes people, though. A group of people of ALL faiths would be able to do even more good, by working together.

• linda says:

Thats great to use the excess for the food banks. You can also save money using your computer as a tv. check out my website

• Diane Michelson says:

Food pantries need food items and tolietries are usually welcomed. I used to work in a food pantry and the one thing we never had enough of was coffee and baby diapers. Also, food pantries have a constant need for donations, not just at holidays.

• Dana says:

How about being a charitable with your excess? Food pantries could use the extra food and shelters the items like toothbrushes. You can feel great about saving and help those who don’t have the funds – or your shopping know-how – to score the big bargains.

• Rachel Achmad says:

Absolutely Dana! That’s why one of my suggestions above is donating to food pantries. Thanks for reading and commenting!