Best Salsas and Chips Ranked by Top Food Editors
But which chips are best? And perhaps more importantly, which salsas will do your party proud?
Food & Wine magazine took one for the team (yeah, tough job) by sampling more than two dozen tortilla chips and jarred salsas to come up with a list of the best bites to help celebrate Mexico’s victory over the French in the 1862 Battle of Puebla. The results?
• Tops in the white corn chip category: Trader Joe’s Restaurant-Style White Corn Tortilla Chips, thanks to their “great crunch,” “nice corn flavor” and “perfect thickness.”
• Tops in the yellow and blue corn chip category: Whole Foods 365 Yellow & Blue Corn Tortilla Chips, also said to boast a good corn flavor and crunch.
• Tops in the multigrain chip category: Tostitos MultiGrain Tortilla Chips, which testers found “sweet and crisp.”
• Tops in the plain salsa category: Trader Joe’s Salsa Autentica, praised by Food & Wine for its “smooth texture.”
• Tops in the flavored salsa category: Muir Glen’s Medium Chipotle Salsa, which was found to be “a little sweet, but good heat.”
Can’t wait til May 5 to get your chips and salsa on? Yeah, neither can we. We think we should probably go ahead and conduct our own taste test tonight. You know, just to keep those Food & Wine experts honest, of course.
We’ve got limes … who’s bringing the tequila?
What’s new in the world of food? Check out the latest food news!